Edit made on September 25, 2019 by ColinWright at 17:21:16
Deleted text in red
Inserted text in green
* *Date:* 13 Dec, 2018
14:00-15:00 followed by a workshop 14:00 - 15:00, + w/shop 15:00 - 16:30
* *Presenter:* James Grime
* *Title:* CHRISTMAS LECTURE Enigma and the Secret World of Code Breaking
* *Audience:* Year 11 up, including teachers and others interested in mathematics
* *Venue:* FIRST FLOOR, Lecture Theatre LT1, 502 Teaching Hub, 150 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool, L69 3GD (next to the Guild of Students and nearly opposite the Maths Department).
See Building 502 in square D6 on the map
* Car Parking: There is a car park at Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral on Mount Pleasant: "Car parking is available underground which is open to all visitors from 8.00am – 6.00pm daily. There are also spaces for disabled drivers which are clearly marked. Parking charges are £1.00 for 1 hour; £2.00 for 2 hours; £5.00 all day to 6.00pm".
There is also a University visitors' car park accessible from Mount Pleasant. See the map referenced above. "0-1 hr: £2.00, 1-2 hrs: £3.00, 2-3 hrs: £4.00, 3-4 hrs: £5.00, Over 4 hrs: £6.00"
* *Contact:* Peter Giblin email@example.com
[[[< |>> IMG:enigma.jpeg ---- An original _ Enigma machine <<| ]]]
Tickets for the main lecture may be requested via https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfwpitlWnjIBDj5jIHkog8owivrZx_aSwltVrU2xlwA1k9Zpg/viewform.
Please note that all tickets for the workshop have now been allocated.
[[[> |>> IMG:JamesGrime.jpeg ---- James Grime, _ the presenter. <<| ]]]
Sponsored by Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool
For as long as we have had secrets we have had secret messages. We present a look at the fascinating history and mathematics of codes and code breaking - from ancient Greece to the present day - including a demonstration of an original WWII Enigma Machine!
Dr James Grime is a mathematician and public speaker. James now runs The Enigma Project and travels the world giving public talks on the history and mathematics of codes and code breaking. James is also a presenter of the YouTube channel numberphile.
Images from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cyxjjles8b3sp8y/AACVgNklIb1Be3LoILhGMumba?dl=0/