- Date: Wednesday 13 Oct, 2021
- Time: 17:00-18:00
- Presenter: Colva Roney-Dougal
- Title: Party hard! The maths of connections
- Audience: Year 11 up, teachers and all interested in mathematics
- Venue: Online
- Contact: Peter Giblin
- There will be no charge for the lecture but registration will be needed. Further details will be posted nearer the time.
How many guests need to come to a party, to guarantee that either at least five of them all know each other or at least five are mutual strangers? This question turns out to be surprisingly hard to solve, and has led to the creation of some maths
that feels more like a newspaper puzzle than real work
. We'll explore connections ranging from friendship, through marriage, to the spread of infectious diseases.